CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 07, 2008

More work than I signed up for.

Five years and thousands of dollars ago my friend Chris Dalley (my left in the picture on the phone) and I decided to start hunting elk. Between the two of us we have had 11 tags. We have only come close one other time to miss an amazing bull that eluded us into the trees and we were out of light.

On December 28, 2007 we finally had some luck. We got out of the truck at about 6:50 a.m. on a dark and balmy 10 degree morning to spook some elk that were a stones throw from us. We immediately started hiking hoping they hadn't gone far. Dalley and I had been watching elk in this area for about two weeks and they were always in the same spot. After about an hour of sneaking we finally got within shooting distance which was 400 yards and I took a shot. You hit her my friend Sean says. Hit her again. I did. Then the chase started for about half a mile where I finally put her down. I don't say this like I am some manly man that did what few men can or have done. I put her down to end her own physical suffering as well as mine mentally. If you have never shot anything that big you wouldn't understand, but it's very sad. It's gut wrenching. A part of you wants to take the shot back and let her go on her way living, but you can't. So you do the humane thing and put the beautiful animal out of her misery and promise her that not only do you appreciate her sacrifice, but you will appreciate every ounce of meat as you consume it for the next year. By doing so I felt that what I did was justified. Some might disagree. I am no trophy hunter. I don't care about the huge head on my wall. I don't care about bragging to the hicks at the gas station on my home from a successful hunt as they gaze in awe at the monster elk in the back of my pickup. Thats not me. I like to hunt. I like to eat what I harvest. I like to sit in the trees and watch even if I don't get the chance to shoot.

So after five years and literally thousands of dollars spent on food, gear, tags, fuel, trailers, guns, ammo, etc and at least 55-75 days off of work we got lucky. So as I cooked some of that meat after Dalley and I butchered it I thought to myself, self.........this is what a $200 steak tastes like. I LOVED IT. Now, if you are thinking to yourself, self..........maybe he will let me try some........bring your wallet.

1 comments:

Bone Junior said...

I've already rifled through your freezer, looking for said elk meat. I would like a $200 steak.