CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Have you ever been a LOSER?

So I just found out that I am a LOSER. It is sad you see because I have always thought that I was moderately liked by those around me, but tonight I was definately proven wrong. So here is what happened. I threw a jewellery party, I know, super gay; I was coerced into it by a very persistant yet utterly nice client that I have no ill feelings towards. I just have ill feeling towards parties. Well any way, so I procrastinated the invites because I had been out of town. I decided that maybe I would get better attendance if I just called people and invited them over the phone. My experience is that it is a lot easier to turn down a piece of paper than to turn down a phone call. So I went to calling. I called 22 lovely people, mostly clients, many of whom I thought moderately to strongly liked me. I thought that the old stand-bys' (close friends who were needed soley for their body count not for their purchasing capability), and the girls at the salon would be a sure thing rounding out at atleast 11. Even if no one else showed up I would have 11 right? WRONG. After calling a bunch of people to reconfirm I tallied the head count to 7. Seven is not so bad, it's no eleven, but seven is still doable. I e-mailed my freind Jacque and informed her that I was a loser because I thought that only 7 people would show up, 7 out of 22. Not the best odds, if you know anything about ratios. She made me feel better by telling me she didn't even know 7 people to call. We deducted that she was the loser. I went and bought bagels and fruit for the "thingy", stopped and watched some horses, ran some errands, and then dropped my son off at the babysitters. In that time 3 out of the 7 texted me to tell me they weren't going to make it. Did you get that, 3 out of 7 were not comming, that left 4 if I was lucky. I felt like such a loser. I called my husband and told him my loser ranking and I also called my mom. They both laughed. Needless to say the jewellery lady bagged her presentation and her games and free prizes and just let us look at the brochure. She said she didn't mind, but I could see the hate in her eyes ( I just threw that in for effect). Can you believe that happened? I guess I just didn't believe in the jewellery enough, or maybe my clients don't think more of me than I thought. Or maybe, just maybe, I am a LOSER!

4 comments:

Erin said...

you are so not a loser! what about your spa party? lots of people came to that...even me, and I never go to "parties". so chin up charlie!

andi said...

I would second the overwhelming NOT A LOSER gesture. It really is the party that's a loser...people hate stuff like that, not the person that throws it.

em said...

i third the NOT A LOSER sentiment. next time try disguising the fact that it's one of those "come to my house so this lady can sell you stuff" parties by saying, "hey, come over for some bagels...(and then really quickly under your breath) andthisladymighttrytosellyoustuffwhile
you'reherebutireallyjustwantyouto
comehangout. Great! See you at 8!"

:)

em said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.