CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 24, 2006

Redneck for the week.


After a week in Montana with a cattle rancher that does guided hunts every year for five weeks in the fall I think I have had a good taste of what it takes to become a real redneck. The name of said cattle rancher/mule deer guide is Mark DeCock. I know what you are thinking about the last name and trust me my friend and I already tore that name apart in every way we could. Mark is a great guy that has live in Forsyth, Montana his whole life. If you have ever felt like moving and you think you hate the place you live try Forsyth, Montana. You will come home loving where you live. I would rather live in Nephi, UT. So that should give you an idea of how cool Forsyth is. Any way back to the hunt. So we got there on Saturday night and started hunting Sunday morning. We did some awesome hikes and tried to get some great dear, but they were to smart for us stupid humans. On Tuesday night on our way back into town we saw some deer at the entrance to Mark's property and stopped to glass them. For you non-hunting types "glassing" means looking at them through binoculars. So as we were glassing we saw a really nice dear in the group. I asked Mark if he thought I should take that one. He said he thought it was to late and that we would come back in the morning. The next morning the deer were still there. Mark and I started walking up the side of the road as the deer we were going after was moving towards some other deer. As we got closer we could see that there were some other bucks in the group. We saw this one in the picture and decided he was the one to shoot. So I got my gun ready and got the deer in my scope. I pulled the trigger and with one shot from 276 yards he went down. I had never shot anything that big before. It is very exciting and sad at the same time. So I had completed my first guided hunt. Now back to the becoming a redneck thing. Now I worked construction for seven years. I have heard cursing and nasty things that would make a sailor blush. Mark taught me a few things. My friend Casey that was hunting as well had worked in construction for about 18 years and even he was amazed at some of the things that came out of DeCock's mouth. So as Casey and Mark and I became better friends thoughout the week we started teasing each other. As much teasing as we all did I thought it might be taking it a bit to far to start correcting his grammar, although it would have been endless fun. I have noticed that who ever you hang around enough you start acting like each other a little bit. Some of my friends and I are twins separated at birth according to my wife. Mark was the exception. Mark says "crick"? I believe the word is "creek". I did tease him on that one.The sound is eeeeeeeeeee, there is no i in there I told him. I will leave his response sensored for all of you reading this.I refer to a small cut in the mountain as a draw. Mark had a cool word for it, cooli. Pronounced coolee. We tried to have him explain it to us, but alas there was no explaing until I asked if it was like a draw and he said that is exactally what it is. The whole week was a great lesson in reneckdom. I think I may fail if I have to take a test though, but if you ever catch me referring to cows as "pricks" or something even more crass you will know where I got it and please curtly correct me. The week was a ton of fun, but we were ready to get out of the place where they thought about filming "The Dukes of Hazzard". We ate our last breakfast with Larry the Cable Guy's long lost cousin and hit the road. I can't wait to see Mark agian this winter when I am up his way for work. It is kind of fun to hang around some one that you can say usetacould and he doesn't even "cock" an eye at you. Until then you can find me napping by the crick down in the cooli while taking a break from hearding them prick cows.

3 comments:

andi said...

My husband was reading over my shoulder at the buck. Let's just say my husband was admiring your husband's rack. :)

Erin said...

you do have a pretty nice rack if i do say so myself.

SpunkySig said...

The correct spelling is coulee, defined as a deep ravine or gulch, usually dry, that has been formed by running water, or a small valley, or a low-lying area.
Creek is spelled creek but can be pronounced kreek or krik as in Websters dictionary. It is commomly prounced "krik" in Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas.
Just an FYI from a Rosebud County native. Thank you for putting your Utah dollars into the economy of Eastern Montana.