
Say hello to my little (I mean rather large) friend! We have had the pleasure of providing a home for some lovely FUNGI this summer. These softball sized fungi are called "puff-balls". We started to find them in the back yard after all of the rain we were getting in May. They are most commonly found in meadows, feilds, and deciduous forests. (Our back yard does not indead resemble any of the three, go figure). They are usually 10-70cm but occasionally they can grow up to 150cm and weigh 20 kg. I saw a picture of one online that was 12 inches in diameter! We thought that they would go away when it started to get warmer but we are picking up 3-6 weekly. I think that they like what Rosy feeds them! Apparently they are edible, when they are young and their flesh is white, before they start producing spores. They are said to taste like tofu. I have yet to grill one up, but if any of you are interested just come on over, we will save you some.




0 comments:
Post a Comment